Ministry of Internal Affairs in cooperation with the Ministry of Transport and Post Telecommunication, through a legal act, determines rules and procedures for the equipment with driving licenses of the Republic of Kosovo for the first time and extensions of the categories. According to the law, foreigners who have legal permit for staying in Kosovo and are equipped with the Kosovo’s ID card can request to be equipped with the driving license of the Republic of Kosovo.
Documents and procedures for equipment with driving licenses of the Republic of Kosovo for the first time and extensions of the categories.
Request for equipment with driving license for the first time and extensions of categories are conducted in the regional unit of the MTPT. In these cases are required these documents:
- Certificate for passing of exam;
- Copy of the Identity Card or passport of the Republic of Kosovo with valid timeframe or copy of UMNIK identity card;
- Certificate from the court for minor offences that against that person is not concluded any procedure;
- Copy of the driving license in case it relates to the extensions of categories;
- Pay slip;
- Proof in case of change of personal data;
- Medical Certificate.
- Responsible officer of the Regional Unit for driving licenses in the Ministry of Transport and Post- Telecommunication (MTPT), fills in the form, stamps it and signs it. The request is signed also by the candidate.
- Signature of the responsible officer of MTPT should be deposited in Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA).
- In case of change of responsible person, for signature of the form, Regional Units for driving licenses in the MTPT is obliged to immediately inform DVRDL in MIA.
- After the verification of the regularity of the documents, the requests for the production of driving licenses are sent to the Department for the Production of the Documents (DPD).
The criteria of age for equipment with the driving license for the first time are determined as follows:
- To have reached 14 years, for driving means of M category;
- To have reached 16 years, for driving means of A1 and T category;
- To have reached 18 years, for driving means of A, B1, B and C category;
- To have reached 19 years, for driving means of B+E, C and C1+E category;
- To have reached 20 years, for driving means of C+E category;
- To have reached 21 years, for driving means of A, D1, D1+E, D and D+E category;
- Criteria of experience for extension of categories are determined by the Law on Security in the Road Traffic.
The data in driving license must be the same as the data of the ID card:
- Last Name
- Date and place of birth
- Personal number
If the data is not the same, the citizen is obligated to change the driving license conform the data of the Id card.