The Directorate for Planning, Urbanization and Construction is responsible for the protection of environment. It carries out these duties to protect the environment:
- Planning of spatial and urban development
- Construction permits
- Usage and utilization permits
- Appointment of boards for overseeing the buildings
- Documenting the war damages
- Development of infrastructure, etc.
Under the directorate for planning, urbanization and construction operates the Department for Public Service, which is responsible for implementing the laws, regulations, directives, by which the public services are regulated for the development of the city and protection of environment.
An important role in the protection of the environment play the activities for the conservation of quality of air, of climate and ozone layer, protection from industrial pollution, noise and ionizing radiation.