The State Symbols of the Republic of Kosovo are: the flag, the emblem and the anthem. The flag, the emblem and the anthem represent the Republic of Kosovo and its national identity.
The form and the size of the flag and of the emblem, the contents of the text and the composition of the anthem are defined by the Assembly of the Republic of Kosovo. Geometrical rules of appearance and colors for forming the flag, emblem, and the text and the notes of the melody of the anthem defined by the Assembly of the Republic of Kosovo will be the integrated parts of this law. The original of the symbols of the Republic of Kosovo is preserved in the archive of the Assembly of the Republic of Kosovo in accordance with the rules and procedures provided for by the law on the archival subject and archives.
Use, Placement, and Ordering of the Flag of the Republic of Kosovo
The national flag is placed on internal and external surroundings of national and public institutions. The national flag may be placed in the internal surroundings of public offices, universities, residencies of political parties, scientific and cultural institutions, objects of cult, and other organizations. In these cases, the flag will be placed on the right side of the main place or on the working desk.
The national flag of the Republic of Kosovo is used:
- On the occasion of ceremonial meetings of representatives of national institutions with the representatives of foreign countries,
- On the occasion of the official solemnity of escorting the President of the Republic of Kosovo, the President of the Assembly of Kosovo, the Prime minister when they go from the Republic of Kosovo to other foreign countries for visit and of welcoming them when they return to the Republic of Kosovo;
- On the occasion of the official arrival of the leader of a foreign country or of the authorized representative of an international organization in the Republic of Kosovo, on the occasion of parting solemnity when they leave the Republic of Kosovo, respectively;
- On the occasion of national and international meetings, public gatherings, sporting, cultural and other contests, humanitarian, military and other manifestations, in which the Republic of Kosovo is represented, takes place, respectively;
- On the occasion of official holidays
- On the occasion of commemoration days;
On the occasion of days of mourning announced in the Republic of Kosovo the national flag is raised at half-mast. The manner of placing and removing the national flag is regulated by pertinent legal documents issued by the Government of the Republic of Kosovo.
The Emblem of the Republic of Kosovo is placed:
- At the entrance of the national institutions together with their naming;
- In all official documents;
- In the stamps of the national institutions;
- In the international documents and agreements of the Republic of Kosovo on the basis of reciprocity.
The use of the emblem of the Republic of Kosovo is the exclusive right of the national institutions.
The Anthem of the Republic of Kosovo is played/ performed in the official ceremonies, in any international activity, where our country participates, and in other occasions provided by the respective laws. When the anthem is played/ performed the standing position is taken. The anthem is never played/ performed in the public surroundings without the presence of the flag, with the exception when it is played on TV or radio. In the solemn, festive, and representative ceremonies only the first stanza and the refrain of the anthem is played/ performed.
The Anthem may be played/ performed:
- On the occasion of official solemnity when the President of the Republic of Kosovo goes from the Republic of Kosovo to foreign countries and on the occasion of his/her welcome when he/she returns to the Republic of Kosovo;
- On the occasion of escorting the presidents of foreign countries, the high officials, or authorized representatives of the international organizations;
- On the occasion of putting the wreaths, by the official representative of the Republic of Kosovo, by the representatives of foreign countries, or by other international organizations, on the memorials, the martyrs’ graveyards, or in similar occasions.
Every inhabitant of the Republic of Kosovo has the right to sing the anthem.
History of national Symbols of the Republic of Kosovo
The selection of the symbols of the Republic of Kosovo was made by the Prime Minister, Mr. Hashim Thaqi and by the jury selected for the national symbols, which consisted of representatives of all parliamentary political entities, representatives of minorities, and representatives from the academic field. This selection was submitted to the Assembly of Kosovo for approval and it was approved.
Flag of the Republic of Kosovo
The Flag is the result of the work of the contestant Muhamer Ibrahimi and it consists of six white stars placed above the golden map of Kosovo on a blue background. The six stars officially represent six largest ethnic groups in the state of Republic of Kosovo.
Obelisk of the Republic of Kosovo
Obelisk of the Republic of Kosovo “NewBorn” represents the birth of the nation of Kosovo, whose design represents new perspectives and responsibilities. The creators of the model of the obelisk are a group of young people led by Mr. Fisnik Ismaili.
The national anthem of the Republic of Kosovo was composed by Mr. Mendi Mengjigji and it does not contain any text. It was approved on 11 June 2008 and it reflects the multiethnic character of Kosovo.